Thoughtfully

Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Wednesday 1 January 2014

New Year ... New Start

Well it's January 1st 2014 and my main resolution is to try and keep up this blog this year.

As you may have noticed I've been absent for a few months (*coughs at the understatement*). Last year was one of those years, nothing specifically wrong, just a lot of minor inconveniences and a few minor health problems. Just enough to make blogging difficult.

Anyway, that's behind me now and this year I'm going to make the effort not to let stuff get in the way :)

I haven't been idle during my absence though!

I knitted this for my other half for Christmas



It was a bit of a challenge as it is years since I've knitted any fairisle. It's knitted in alafoss lopi which is an icelandic wool and is fabulous. I got it from http://www.meadowyarn.co.uk/yarn/ and I can't say enough about how good their service was.

I also knitted fingerless gloves as presents ... sorry no pictures of these.

I've also been tatting and here are some pictures of the things I made:


 It's not a wonderful photo but the snowflakes have swarovski crystal beads and dangles which really catch the light. I'm afraid I can't remember where I got the patterns but I know at least one is by Jon Yussof of http://tatsaway.blogspot.co.uk/ who is an amazing tatter and generously shares her patterns with the world. :)

The earings and pendant below are from Marilee Rockley's (also known as yarnplayer) book Tatted Jewellery. Her's is another site well worth a visit... such a talented lady :) http://yarnplayertats.blogspot.co.uk/











Oh and I forgot I made this bracelet which is formed from a basic tatting edging.


CQJP 2014


I decided to give myself some focus this year so I have signed up for CQJP 2014, now I love crazy quilts and the embellishing but I'm a novice at this so I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to do credit to the others who have joined. Looking at previous years I am in awe of the talent that is out there.

My son gave me Embellishing Crazy Quilts by Kathy Seaman Shaw (shawkl who actually runs CQJP http://www.shawkl.com/) for Christmas, this is a wonderful book for beginners (and the more experienced I guess) as it contains sooo many templates for seams and motifs.

I'm really looking forward to practicing all these over the year :)


2 comments:

  1. good to see you back on your blog, the knitting is super and love the tatting, will follow up on the links you have shared. I did the CQJP last year and have finished it off, only need to buy some dowling then I can hang it up. Have signed up for this year too and like you have Kathy`s book, also have a few others and have got Sharon`s stencils too. I see you are a member of SF afraid I have not been on there for months, the blogging takes up so much time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I saw your quilt on the CQJP 2013 site and it was great :)
      I really envy you the Sharon stencils but I have a birthday in February so I'm dropping hints to the family ;)
      I love SF but if I commented on all the stuff I liked I'd spend all day blogging and no time actually doing :)
      I look forward to seeing your blocks for CQJP 2014 :)

      Delete